Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

UBC Day 17 - Close Your Eyes and Open Your Mind

Even on my days off, I never feel like I get to really relax and do nothing.  It always seems like I have something to do.  Some errand I have to run...some place I have to go...end up getting called in to work an extra shift.

When I get a day to really just relax and do nothing...I turn my alarm off...I shut my phone off...I wake up naturally.  I eventually make my way out to the living room where I curl up in my blanket and watch a few of my shows on the DVR...but honestly I feel most relaxed when I am dancing.  When I am practicing my Zumba moves on my own.  Creating my own choreography or working on getting a few new dances down.  The music just seriously makes everything else irrelevant.

Any worries or stress just melts away as soon as I start the music and start to move.  Dance has always been that way for me.  I was just in love with New Orleans partially because I could go out any night of the week and the clubs would be packed and playing great music and I would dance and not think about anything else.  Sure...being 19 years old and getting into clubs and not being carded buying drinks and shots was fun but dancing is really why I went out.  Not to get drunk because I could.

Now that I know that my knee is okay, I have stopped babying it and plan to build that muscle back up and get back into teaching Zumba.  I need to dance.  I have so much pain and stress that I need a release.  If I could not dance, I would run but right now I cannot really do either.  However I am totally ready to fully try my choreography that I created in my head and have yet been able to try out!

On the flip side, I also love to curl up next to a window with great light and a good book...a cup of hot coffee and a beautiful view...that is perfection as well!  The only thing that could ever make it better is having someone special there with me.  To peek up over the top of my book and see someone special sitting close to me doing something similar.  Eventually when I get my set schedule of Wednesday through Sunday work week back, I plan to find someplace beautiful and peaceful to go to and read on Mondays or Tuesdays.  Who knows...maybe I will walk onto a ferry and go somewhere and use the time and surrounding beauty to refresh my poetry!

How do you unwind?  Is there a special place that you go to and relax?  Is there a certain activity that just puts your mind at ease?  Share your secret you place!

Until next time!

6 comments:

  1. Wow,
    You really need to put the DVR on. I can hear the stress from here.

    In answer to your question, I pick up my guitar and sing. I always feel better after that. I also almost have to read a little escape fiction at night before I go to bed. If I don't the mind keeps going chug-a-chug-a-chug on what every project I was working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could play the guitar! I have a little bit of an ability to play basic violin but it has been so long since I have actually tried to play anything!

      Delete
  2. I hope you can get back to teaching Zumba. My husband and daughter loves Zumba classes. Me - not so much. I love to unwind with a good book, drinking some herbal tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your favorite kind of tea? I love to try new kinds! There is a tea shop not far from where I work that has TONS of loose leaf teas that you can purchase by the ounce! If it smells good, I usually try it! Oh and if it has antioxidants in it then I will most definitely try it!

      Delete
  3. I'm the TV queen, so I can often lose myself in the tube, though I'll admit that's not always really "relaxing". When it's warm, I like to sit on my deck and watch the bird feeder or maybe take a walk through the neighborhood. And, I, too, love to crank up the music and move. I won't go so far as to call my movements "dancing", but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That is awesome! It is all called dancing...and as long as you are having fun that is all that matters!

      Delete

I want to know what YOU think about my blog! Share your thoughts with me! I respond to every comment so check back often!