Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 4: What Are You Afraid Of?

What am I afraid of?  Well the one that I get teased about a lot is being afraid of the dark.  I know.  I am 28 years old and I am afraid of the dark.  I am almost terrified!  It is not just the dark like when the sun goes down or when the lights are out at night.  NOTHING good every happens in the dark.  I have said that to numerous people and they all say, "But you have sex in the dark."  Yeah but it is not pitch black dark.  The street lights outside the window shed some light.  My alarm clock sheds some light.  The porch light is right next to my window.  Therefore, it is never fully dark.

The kind of dark that I am afraid of is the kind that your eyes cannot adjust to.  Being in a room with no windows and the lights are out.  That is the kind of dark that terrifies me.  My eyes and my mind play enough tricks on me as it is...I do not need to be trapped in a pitch dark room with no way out or light of any kind.  I get light headed and dizzy and start to slightly hyperventilate.

The other thing that terrifies me is snakes.  I do not do snakes.  The sight of a snake will bring instant tears to my eyes.  I was at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans many years ago with some friends and we went through the reptile area.  While standing right by the exit sign, my friends tell me that the only way out is to either go back the way we came or go through Rattlesnake Canyon.  I start walking through with my eyes on the floor and one of the guys says, "Look, someone pissed this snake off so bad it started to break the glass."  I look up and this snake is staring at me and even though I can see that there is a very thick layer of Plexiglas, I instantly have tears running down my face when I see that the Plexiglas has like a spider affect and it really looked like the snake struck it so hard that it was going to shatter.  I know that it is not possible yet I still cried.

My mom has the same fear of snakes.  She has flat out said that she will sacrifice your body (whoever is nearest to her at the time) if she sees a snake.  She has even thrown one of my sisters into the path of a snake to get away.  Last summer at our family's annual camping trip, my mom and I were standing in the river and her cousin points out that there is a snake sunning itself on the rocks about 15 feet away from us.  We had both walked right by it and as soon as it was pointed out, we got the hell out of dodge!

I do not like spiders either but at least I can kill those...only when they are small though.  If they get bigger than the size of a nickle then I am out!  Oh and bees.  I cannot stand bees but that is because I am allergic.

I think that is about it.  I have two more blogs to write to catch up on!  So until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to know what YOU think about my blog! Share your thoughts with me! I respond to every comment so check back often!