Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

I Am Woman...Hear Me Roar!!!

I am a woman! (SHOCKER!!!)

I am a working woman! (GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER...NOW!)

I work in a male dominated field.  There are not many females that can or would do my job.  I come home daily...covered head to toe in sweat.  I am dirty...I smell...I usually have fuel and oil on my shirt, shorts/jean, tennis shoes...not to mention my legs and arms.  It is heavy work.  It is hard work.  I am on my feet about 98% of the time I am at work and, especially this time of year, generally get home at night and realize that I have not gone to the bathroom since I woke up that morning.  Dehydration is my enemy in this heat.  I cannot seem to keep my water bottle glued to my hand without actually gluing IT to my hand.  I cannot suck down the water fast enough.

Where am I going with this?  Well, Friday I was asked to work for three hours.  I ended up working a little longer trying to fix some paper work errors.  I was talking to my co-worker (a guy), giving him a run down of the day when a gentleman (someone passing through the area who has never stopped at the airport) walks passed me to get to my co-worker and asks him a question.  Well I took the lead since I was on the clock and even though I was the one answering his questions, he kept directing them to my co-worker (who was trying to leave to do something he was tasked with).

After I finished answering his questions, he said thank you...to my co-worker, not at me...and left.  I stood there...stunned...shocked...I could not believe what had just happened.  I have had gentlemen approach us but when I take the lead, they seem impressed that I know my stuff and direct their attention to me.  I looked at my co-worker.  "Did that really just happen?"  A slight laugh of astonishment followed by a, "Have a good day."

When will men realize that in some cases, women really can do the same job as men.  Now I may not be able to lift things as heavy as my counter part but when it comes to speed I know that I am not as fast as him but I am pretty damn quick and am right at his heels (metaphorically speaking of course).  Funny thing though...my boss joking looked at me yesterday and said, "You know this is a dirty job."  I looked at him and told him that I distinctly remember him looking me up and down when I came in for my interview and he said, "Do you know what job you are interviewing for?"  We all laughed because I said, "Well the sign out front said part-time aircraft refueler...and I can do that!"

Yesterday marked my 1-year anniversary at the airport.  I have learned so much since I started working there.  I have met some amazing customers...I have wonderful co-workers...and I could not have asked for a better family to work for.  They have made me feel like I have entered into an extremely large extended family.  They all have a very special place in my heart!

Now that it has taken me like two and a half "Gossip Girl" episodes to write this (oh I am so easily distracted), I am going to find something to eat...I think I might give in and order Thai...however it is not an "I might give in"...I am signing off and call them now!  Shrimp Pad Thai (at a 4...I am craving spicy) and some Spring Rolls.  Okay...now my mouth is watering!!!!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to know what YOU think about my blog! Share your thoughts with me! I respond to every comment so check back often!